On the shores of Passamaquoddy Bay, everything about our Town is special, including our status as a National Historic District with 300 + Heritage buildings. Saint Andrews is a treasure trove of beautiful architecture, stunning scenery and rich marine life. Today we offer all the features of a thriving modern resort voted by USA Today as the Best Place in Canada to Visit in 2017. A visitor destination since the late 19th century, it is also a major centre of marine science research and education with the Saint Andrews Biological Station, the Huntsman Marine Science Centre and Aquarium and the New Brunswick Community College.
The Assistant Treasurer is appointed by the town council and is an officer of the Board of Directors. The Assistant Treasurer is primarily responsible for managing the revenue and cash flow of the towns banking, collections, receipts, reporting and investment or disbursement of municipal funds.
- Under the guidance of the CAO/Treasurer, leads, directs and administers the general/financial management and day‐to‐day operation of the Towns finances;
- Be the primary staff member who assures the integrity of financial practices, and associated billing, collection, record‐keeping, reporting, banking, investment and reserves fund administration;
- Develops, recommends and if approved, implements short and longer‐term financial strategies to address financial objectives of the Town;
- Leads and coordinates the preparation of corporate operating and capital budgets and forecasts, and overall budget presentation to Council; and oversees and monitors the administration of approved budgets;
- Develops, recommends and if approved, implements and reviews corporate and departmental policies and procedures respecting accounting, purchasing, cash‐handling, and other internal financial procedures to meet appropriate account principles and practices;
- Leads the preparation of year‐end financial statements and reporting requirements for the Municipality;
- Administers the corporate insurance portfolio including assessing risk and insurance needs, researching and obtaining required insurance and recommending appropriate deductibles, and overseeing claims processing/management;
- Ensures the implementation of the corporate procurement policy and procedures in accordance with the Procurement Policy and relevant Provincial Acts;
- Supervises and/or oversees the duties of departmental staff including staff development, performance management/review, coaching/mentoring, health and safety, discipline, and termination recommendation;
- Undertakes special projects and performs other duties assigned, in accordance with departmental or corporate objectives;
- Ensuring adherence to regulatory requirements such as HST filings, payroll remittances, etc.
- University degree in Finance, Accounting or Commerce or Business Administration Diploma with a focus on Accounting;
- Eligibility for or holder of the Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation and full membership in the corresponding professional association is considered an asset;
- 5 years’ experience in a related field with progressive responsibility;
- Significant demonstrated management experience in local government finance or an NPO is considered an asset including experience working with elected officials, public sector financial planning, purchasing and taxation experiences, and supervisory experience;
- Computer literacy utilizing word‐processing, spreadsheet, presentation and database software, related financial information systems and applications, and the Internet;
- Availability to attend evening and/or weekend meetings or other events as required;
- The ability to work in a fast paced, multi-tasking environment.
Work With Us
Interested candidates should apply to email@example.com on or before November 22, 2019. The Town of Saint Andrews appreciates all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected to continue in the selection process will be contacted.