On the shores of Passamaquoddy Bay, everything about our Town is special, including our status as a National Historic District with 300 + Heritage buildings. Saint Andrews is a treasure trove of beautiful architecture, stunning scenery and rich marine life. Today we offer all the features of a thriving modern resort voted by USA Today as the Best Place in Canada to Visit in 2017. A visitor destination since the late 19th century, it is also a major centre of marine science research and education with the Saint Andrews Biological Station, the Huntsman Marine Science Centre and Aquarium and the New Brunswick Community College.
We are looking to hire a motivated and experienced Clerk of the Municipality–Senior Administrative Manager to act as the Clerk of the Municipality and carry out the role of the Clerk as legislated in the Local Governance Act RSNB 2018. You will act as the Secretary to Council and be the primary contact with the public.
To be successful in this role you will have experience in collating and managing records, legal documents, working knowledge of relevant Information Technology, and an understanding of Provincial and Municipal laws and regulations.
Responsibilities of the role include:
• Attending all meetings of Council;
• Collaborating with Council, the CAO and senior management for the creation and implementation of policy and by-laws;
• As secretary to council you are responsible to Council for the proper administration of Council meetings as per the Procedural By-law;
• Communicating effectively with Council, management and staff, other stakeholders and town residents;
• Managing Town records; maintaining official reports, legal documents and reference material;
• Recording, editing and distributing minutes of Council meetings and keeping agreements with external stakeholders, contractors and governments;
• Co-sign with the Mayor and affix the Town Seal to official documents as required;
• Managing Town Information Technology & communication resources;
• Management of the Right to Information and Protection of Privacy Act (RTIPPA) process;
• Distributing information to the public, ensuring municipal records, bylaws and policies are accessible in accordance with law;
• Seeking out and applying for new sources of funding;
• Some knowledge of the Local Governance Act.
Requirements of the role:
• A post-secondary degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or a related field is considered an asset;
• Previous experience as a Municipal Clerk-Senior Administrative Manager is considered an asset;
• Previous experience working with an elected Council or Board is preferred;
• Previous experience managing staff is considered an asset;
• Experience managing administrative matters such as payments, permits, records management, information technology and funding applications;
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively with others;
• Strong research skills;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Demonstrate precision and attention to detail in day to day activities;
• Excellent time management skills, organizational skills and the ability to work with tight deadlines;
• Intermediate to advanced computer skills and knowledge of software applications.
Interested candidates should apply to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before November 29, 2019. The Town of Saint Andrews appreciates all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected to continue in the selection process will be contacted.