The Town of Saint Andrews, also referred to as St. Andrews by-the-Sea is also known to the Passamaquoddy First Peoples as Qua-nos-cumcook. Established as a British colony in 1783, the community incorporated in 1903. From 1784 to 1967, Saint Andrews was the shiretown of Charlotte County being the center of justice, local government and professional services for the region including the Fundy Isles. In the 21st century, marine sciences, education, tourism and heritage are the economic drivers in this historic town.
National Historic District
The Town of Saint Andrews is Canada’s first and oldest sea-side resort and is home to the largest collection of authenticated heritage buildings in the country, the earliest dating back to the late 18th century. Following the demise of shipbuilding in the mid 19th century, tourism gradually took a foothold and was given a big boost with the opening of the Algonquin Hotel in 1889.
Water Street, in the heart of the downtown, was selected by the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) in 2016 as the juried winner of the “Great Places in Canada” competition in the category of “Great Street”.
Canadian Registry of Historic Places: A searchable database on thousands of historic places having national, provincial, territorial and local significance – including 118 in St. Andrews.
New Brunswick Register of Historic Places: A searchable database on over 1600 historic places in this province.